Coconut Oil Baking Hacks – Think about a flakey, delectable cookie fresh out of the oven. The buttery texture, the oozing chocolate chips, the chewy texture in your mouth – yum! A lot of people love nothing more than a warm cookie and a glass of milk.
But wait! What if you can’t eat dairy because of an intolerance or allergy? What if you choose not to eat dairy for health or ethical reasons? What if you are just looking for a way to enjoy more natural, healthy treats?
Thankfully, coconut oil is here to save the day. This super food is packed with positive benefits for your mind and body. Coconut oil can be used as a substitute for shortening, butter and other vegetable oils in your bakes and your other sweet treats. We want to show you just how easy it can be to replace the fats in your bakes with coconut oil.
Easy tips for substituting coconut oil for butter in your bakes
- Simply substitute coconut oil for the butter or margarine in your recipes, 1:1
- Coconut oil adds a gorgeous coco flavour to your cookies, muffins, cakes and puddings. Don’t like a strong coconut flavour in your bakes? No problem. Try refined coconut oil instead. It has a much milder taste and will satisfy even the pickiest eater.
- Does your recipe ask for salted butter? No problem – just add a wee bit of salt to your coconut oil. Add 1/8 teaspoon of salt to each 1/2 cup of coconut oil.
- Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, and so it might need to be softened before being added to bakes. In the winter time, you might want to pop it into your microwave for 5 seconds.
- When you are measuring solid coconut oil, add it to a dry measure cup and then pat it down to remove air pockets.
Coconut Oil Baking Hacks #1: Replace veggie oil for coconut oil in your granola
Do you love making a tray of crunchy granola for your family? Replace the vegetable oil with coconut oil and you will boost the nutrition. Not only that, but the coconut oil helps to create the crunchy clusters that make granola so yummy!
Coconut Oil Baking Hacks #2: Make a delicious smoothie with coconut oil
Add a creamy tropical twist to your daily smoothie with coconut oil instead of yoghurt, almond butter or other thickeners. Try a tasty mix of strawberries, coconut oil, pineapple and bananas – bottoms up!
Coconut Oil Baking Hacks #3: Make a ‘magic shell’ for your ice cream
Those magic shell toppings sold in the grocery store can add heaps of sugar, fat and other unhealthy preservatives. Instead, melt and mix coconut oil with some vanilla or cocoa powder and then drizzle over your ice cream or your sorbet. Kids (and kids at heart) will love this.
Coconut Oil Baking Hacks #4: Deep fry your heart out – Donuts made in coconut oil!
Sure, we all know that fried foods are not good for us – but you don’t have to give them up! Instead, make them in a healthier way. Coconut oil has a really high heat tolerance, and as a result is ideal for frying. Whether you are pan frying an egg or deep frying some donuts, replace your go to oil with coconut oil.
As you can see, replacing your fats with coconut oil in your bakes is easy, delicious and even fun! Share your own coconut oil baking tips in the comment section below. Happy baking!